That evening, I took my metal scraps to my father’s workshop. I readily decided to try making one of those nifty things called Mobiles. Of course, I did not have at my disposal the tools and the full set of materials, but try I did. I failed miserably. The metal was too thick for my father's over-worn and dull shears. Most of all, I had not watched the process quite attentively enough. Where a mobile is constructed from the bottom up, my project was conducted from the top down. Whenever you add something, you have to correct every preceding balancing point. A few days later, when I shared my frustration with Calder, I was set straight. He said that you must start from the bottom! Eventually I was able to secure a couple of spools of recycled chicken wire that had all sorts of kinks and required a lot of massaging to straighten out. Later, I was enlightened to the fact that Mobiles are made with piano wire also called music wire which has spring quality and retains its given shape very well. Instead of the thicker gauges that Sandy used, I used aluminum coffee cans which were much thinner and easier to cut with my blunt old shears. My sister Eva still has one of the first mobiles I made at the time, the wire was hardly straight, the shapes are all bumpy and irregular but there is movement and some dynamics there.
Later, I started making Mobiles for my friends and family. I even got to trade one with Max Ernst, a family friend, for one of his posters. Calder once told my mother that I had understood the linking and attachments well. Of course, that is just the rudiments of Mobile making, but it was a start. The afternoon of my fifteenth birthday, Calder handed me a very special gift, a pair of his Sargent pliers that he always had on his person.